- 1 cup whipped cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream – 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups cooked spinach (thawed if frozen), drained well and chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream, artichokes and spinach until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, and add more heavy cream if the mixture is still too stiff to spread easily and bring to room temperature before using if making ahead of time.
Preheat the oven to 400F. In a deep casserole dish, lay down a layer of potatoes so that the edges overlap slightly. Spread a thin layer of the creamy spinach-artichoke mixture over the potatoes (it doesn’t have to be perfect), then sprinkle on a thin layer of cheese and top with 3-4 thin slices of butter. Top with another layer of potatoes, making sure the edges overlap slightly and repeat with the spinach artichoke mixture until you more or less run out of ingredients. Arrange the final layer of potatoes on top, then brush generously with the melted butter and top with the Parmesan cheese, then transfer to the oven. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until potatoes are tender and top is golden-brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Food Republic