Shepherd’s pie is a ground meat casserole topped with a mashed potato crust. This traditional Irish dish has a long history, as it was an easy and ﬁlling meal for people in rural communities.
Cooking Tip: Sprinkling ﬂour over the beef and vegetables quickly thickens the juices from the beef to create a smooth gravy in minutes. Be sure to read through the entire recipe before you begin cooking. Trust us–you’ll be glad you did! Visit thedish.plated.com for cooking videos and tips!
Wine Pairing: 2011 Chono Reserva Carmenére
- 10 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small parsnip
- ½ bunch chives
- ½ teaspoon chicken base
- 1 packet butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ﬂour
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup water
- kosher salt
- black pepper
1. Prepare Ingredients – Preheat broiler to high. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch dice. Peel onion and cut into small dice. Peel carrot and parsnip and cut into ¼-inch dice. Rinse chives and ﬁnely chop. In a small bowl, whisk together chicken base and 1 cup water.
2. Cook Potatoes – Place potatoes in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl with butter and cream. Mash, using a fork, until smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.
3. Cook Beef – Heat a large ovenproof high-sided pan over medium-high heat. Pat beef dry with paper towel. When pan is just smoking, add beef and cook, stirring, until browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion, carrot, and parsnip and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Season Beef – Add tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook until tomato paste is bright brick red, about 3 minutes. Taste beef and add salt and pepper as needed.
5. Prepare Gravy – Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle ﬂour over beef and vegetables. Stir to combine. Slowly pour over chicken base mixture and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and cook until sauce has thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
6. Broil Shepherd’s Pie – Spread potato mixture over beef in an even layer. Place under broiler and cook until potatoes are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chives. Serve hot.
Recipe provided by Plated.com – For more information or recipes like this delivered to your door visit www.Plated.com