Tortellini in Brodo: Tortellini in brodo is a classic Italian dish of tortellini pasta cooked in a ﬂavorful meat or vegetable broth.
Cooking Tip: Adding a small cheese cloth satchel of aromatics, such as peppercorns, thyme, bay leaf, and garlic, to broths as they simmer is a great way to infuse them with ﬂavor. This satchel is usually used as the ﬂavoring agent for many homemade stocks. Be sure to read through the entire recipe before you begin cooking. Trust us– you’ll be glad you did! Visit thedish.plated.com for cooking videos and tips!
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery
- ⅙ bunch parsley
- ½ bunch mustard greens
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon vegetable base
- 8 ounces tortellini
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan
- cheese cloth
- kitchen twine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups water
- kosher salt
- black pepper
1. Prepare Ingredients – Wipe onion clean with a damp paper towel and quarter through the root. Rinse carrot and cut into 1-inch pieces. Rinse celery and cut into 1-inch pieces. Rinse parsley and chop stems into ½-inch pieces, discarding leaves. Rinse mustard greens and discard stems. Place bay leaf, thyme, and peppercorns in cheese cloth and tie to seal using kitchen twine.
2. Prepare Broth – Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add parsley stems, cheese cloth parcel, vegetable base, and 6 cups water. Whisk to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer until broth has developed a strong vegetable ﬂavor, about 15 minutes.
3. Strain Broth – Scoop out all contents from broth and discard, leaving only liquid in pot. Taste and add salt as needed. Return over high heat and bring to a boil.
4. Cook Tortellini – Add tortellini to broth and cook until almost completely tender, 4-5 minutes.
5. Cook Mustard Greens – Add mustard greens to broth and cook until tender and bright green, about 2 minutes. Taste broth and add salt and pepper as needed.
6. Plate Tortellini – Divide tortellini, mustard greens, and broth between 2 bowls. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and serve hot.
Recipe provided by Plated.com – For more information or recipes like this delivered to your door visit www.Plated.com